Honey Bomb Lip Balm Recipe

If you've read some of my previous posts, you're probably aware that I've been an avid LUSH fan for years.

Among the many LUSH items that I considered to be "Holy Grail" items was their Lite Lip lip balm -- sadly, it seems this has been discontinued. Next, I tried the chocolatey Whipstick, but I found it to be a bit gritty. I moved onto LUSH Honey Trap, but was disappointed in how quickly it turned rancid.
In my frustration (and not wanting to continue paying over $7 for a 0.3 oz. container), I decided to come up with my own version of what I considered to be The Perfect Lip Balm.

After trial and error, I came up with a recipe for what I found to be a perfect culmination of all the things I liked best about all three of the aforementioned LUSH balms: hints of cocoa, the slight sweetness of honey (naturally antimicrobial, and a natural preservative), super-moisturizing, long-lasting, and neither greasy nor waxy. Here is the recipe for what I consider my *ideal* lip balm:

Honey Bomb Lip Balm

5 tsp Beeswax Pastilles
3 1/2 tsp Cocoa Butter
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 Tbsp Oil (I use a combination of Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba, Avocado Oil, Almond Kernel Oil)
1 Tbsp Honey
10 drops Sweet Orange EO (optional - I personally LOVE the honeyed-cocoa-orange flavor/scent)
1/8 tsp Vitamin E (optional - acts as a preservative)

In a double boiler (I use a Pyrex measuring cup in a pan of water), add beeswax, cocoa butter, and oils, and stir until beeswax and cocoa butter are fully melted. Remove from heat.

Add honey, and stir until honey dissolves (it may show as little "blobbies" within the mixture -- this is okay, and will be blended in further as it cools.

Remove from heat. Let cool for a few minutes, then add EO, and Vitamin E (if using), and stir until mixture is cool/thickened enough to emulsify honey into mixture.

Once thickened, scoop into containers.
[You can use whatever you happen to have on hand -- when I was just making lip balm for myself, I re-used clean, empty lip balm containers and even empty breath mint tins, but when I sold mine on Etsy, I bought lip balm containers with screw-on lids, like the ones shown here or here. They're readily available from several different suppliers.]

Mixture will continue to set until it has fully cooled -- if you're as impatient as I am, you can hasten the process by popping the filled containers into your refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.

Et voila!







Comments

Popular Posts