Black Bean & Brown Rice Veggie Burgers Recipe

I first tried this recipe out about a year ago, and wasn't expecting it to be all that great -- to be honest, I was just looking for a cheap, healthy alternative to burgers. Much to my surprise, these proved to be not only cheap and healthy, but delicious! Since then, I've made these more times than I can count -- even crumbling up the leftovers, reheating adding taco seasoning, and using in place of ground beef for "veggie tacos".

Black Bean & Brown Rice Veggie Burgers

1 can of drained black beans (or 1.5 cups of black beans, if you prefer to soak/cook dried black beans yourself, as I do)
1 cup of cooked brown rice (Alton Brown's recipe for baked brown rice is super-easy, and has never failed me)
3 cloves of crushed garlic
1 diced onion
1/4 cup of chopped, fresh cilantro
2 egg whites
1 tsp Chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Use a fork to mash half of the beans, leaving the other half unmashed. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
 
[Come to think of it -- I've even pureed ALL the ingredients together in a food processor, til smooth -- they lose the "burger-like" texture, but stay together much better during cooking/flipping.  Whichever way you prefer -- this is a relatively foolproof recipe.]


Form into four patties. Either bake them in the oven at 375 ° F for 25 minutes or place in a pan lightly coated with olive oil. Be careful when you are turning them, because vegetarian burgers do have a tendency to fall apart easily. Cook on each side 4-5 minutes on medium heat.

Confession: I would have posted a photo, but the last time I made these, I had already started snacking on them by the time I got my camera ready, so the only photo I have is one with  patties with the edges picked off.  Whoops.


Comments

Popular Posts